8th Book Back English – Unit 4: My Reminiscence
Samacheer Kalvi 8th Standard New English Book Back 1 Mark and 2 Mark Question & Answers PDF uploaded and available below. Class 8 New Syllabus 2021 to 2022 Book Back Solutions/Guide available for English and Tamil Medium. 8th Std English Book Portion consists of 7 Prose, 7 Poems, and 7 Supplementary Units. All 7 Units of English Prose, Poem, and Supplementary Book Back Solutions are given below. Check Samacheer Kalvi 8th English Unit 4 Prose Book Back PDF for Free Download.
Samacheer Kalvi 8th English Book Back for Unit 4 My Reminiscence general and grammar part Question and Answers below:
Samacheer Kalvi 8th English Unit 4 My Reminiscence Book Back:
Unit – 4 My Reminiscence
A. Fill in the blanks.
1. The author speaks about the river ……………. .
Ans: – Ganges
2. The author’s brother’s name is ……………. .
Ans: – Jyotirindra
3. The ……………. glimmered over the smooth flowing stream.
Ans: – moonlight
4. The beauty of Bengal and the Ganges served as ……………. and ……………. to the author.
Ans: – food, drink
B. Answer the following in one or two sentences.
1. Quote the expressions from the text when the author sees the Ganges again.
“The Ganges again! Again those ineffable days and nights, languid with joy, sad with longing, attuned to the plaintive babbling of the river along with the cool shade of its wooded banks”.
2. In what ways the river and its bank have changed?
The surrounding greenery has been replaced by mills. The noise and smoke of the mills are referred to as changes.
3. How were the rooms arranged in his house?
A flight of stone-flagged steps led to a long broad verandah. The rooms were not regularly arranged. All the rooms were not on the same level. Some rooms had to be reached by short flights of stairs. The big sitting room faced the landing steps.
C. Answer the following in a paragraph.
1. How does the author spend his afternoon? Explain
On rainy afternoons, the author spends his time singing old Vaishnava songs to his own tunes, with the harmonium. On other afternoons, he goes boating with his brother. His brother plays the violin. They engage themselves in music. When the sun sets they return home.
2. Describe how the river looks when he rows back.
On the west side of the river, the sun rays declined. On the east side of the river, the moon rises over the fringe of trees. A silver streak was formed where the land and water met. Boats were hardly seen. The trees bordering the river banks appeared like a dark shadow and the moonlight glowed over the smooth flowing stream.
a. Find out the clipped words for the following.
- aeroplane – plane
- microphone – mike
- exhibition – exhibit
- kilogram – kilo
- cafeteria – cafe
b. Find and use the clipped words in your own sentence.
1. photograph – photo
I showed my mother’s photo with my friend.
2. gymnasium – gym
I used to go to the gym every day to get a well-built body.
3. luncheon – lunch
I share my lunch with my friends.
4. advertisement – ad
It is a common ad we see in between the serials.
5. zoological park – zoo
We went to the zoo last week.
a. Find out the blended words for the following.
1. international + police – Interpol
2. helicopter + pad – helipad
3. motor+hotel – motel
4. education + satellite – educate
5. electronic + commerce – e-commerce
b. Use the blended words in your own sentences.
Electrocution is the mode of the death penalty in foreign countries.
Spaniards employed in ships speak Spanglish.
Moped is a vehicle liked by many women in our country.
I took my brunch at 11.00 a.m. today.
Due to the smog, the plane was canceled yesterday.
Match with the meanings for the following Idioms.
|1. a piece of cake||a) Moving very slowly|
|2. on cloud nine||b) easy|
|3. perfect ten||c) Blissfully happy|
|4. at a snail’s pace||d) someone who is cherished above all others|
|5. apple of my eye||e) completely perfect|
|1. a piece of cake||b) easy|
|2. on cloud nine||c) Blissfully happy|
|3. perfect ten||e) completely perfect|
|4. at a snail’s pace||a) Moving very slowly|
|5. apple of my eye||d) someone who is cherished above all others|
Fill in the blanks with the meanings for the following Idioms.
1. take five _________
Ans: – for a break
2. pieces of eight _________
Ans: – treasure
3. black and blue _________
Ans: – severely
4. wild goose chase _________
Ans: – wasteful
5. seventh heaven _________
Ans: – very happy
6. a couch potato _________
Ans: – lazy person
7. the lion’s share _________
Ans: – biggest share
8. in black and white _________
Ans: – written
9. drop the ball _________
Ans: – making a mistake
10. cat’s meow _________
Ans: – excellent
a. Underline the conjunctions in the following sentences:
1. Revathy and Rohini are friends.
Ans: – And
2. If you say so I will believe it.
Ans: – so
3. Shekar is intelligent but careless.
Ans: – but
4. The bus was overcrowded so Arun avoided travelling in it.
Ans: – so
5. Though Vinay is ill, he doesn’t skip the class.
Ans: – Though
b. Fill in the blanks in the following sentences with suitable conjunctions from the box:
after, unless, until, and, fill, although, so, because, but.
1. I returned home ………….. the bus had started.
Ans: – after
2. I respect him ………….. he is very strict.
Ans: – although
3. Sudharshan will succeed ………….. he works hard.
Ans: – because
4. Aravinth ………….. Arun is classmates from their childhood.
Ans: – and
5. You can’t have your fruits ………….. you take your food.
Ans: – until
C. Choose the correct conjunctions from the options given in the brackets:
1. Everyone likes him ………….. he is very helpful, (because/for)
Ans: – because
2. ………….. it was cloudy, we decided to take an umbrella, (so/as)
Ans: – as
3. Rathi found her watch ………….. she had left it. (wherever/where)
Ans: – where
4. I don’t know ………….. I can afford to buy a new dress or not. (whether/why)
Ans: – whether
5. ………….. he was ill, he did not go to the doctor, (as/though)
Ans: – though
1. Choose the right pattern.
1. The wall collapsed.
2. During the war, many people lost their homes.
3. I promised the children a trip to the zoo.
4. In 1998, Frank moved to London.
5. Pooja hired a bicycle.
|SV||Birds fly.||They returned.|
|SVO||I bought a pen.||She gave a bale.|
|SVC||She is a dancer.||He is a painter.|
|SVA||They came here.||They will come now.|
|SVOC||Raju wrote a letter neatly.||I wrote the exam well.|
|SVIODO||They gave him a shock.||The teacher taught him a lesson.|
|ASV||Tomorrow she leaves.||Yesterday I came.|
|SVAA||My dog swam in the pool yesterday.||I went to Ooty by bus last week.|
Other Important links for 8th English Book Back Solutions:
Click here to download the complete Samacheer Kalvi 8th English Book Answer Guide – 8th English Book Back Answers