6th English Book Back Questions & Answers Unit 3: A Visitor from Distant Lands
Samacheer Kalvi 6th Standard English Book Back Questions with Answers PDF uploaded and the same is given below. Class sixth candidates and those preparing for TNPSC exams can check the Book Back Grammer Answers PDF below. The Samacheer Kalvi Class 6th Std English Book Back Answers Term 1 Unit 3 – A Visitor from Distant Lands Book Back Solutions Guide is given below. Check the complete Samacheer Kalvi 6th English Term 1 Unit 3 Prose Questions and Answers below:
We also provide class 6th other units Book Back One and Two Mark Solutions Guide on our site. Students looking for a new syllabus 6th standard English Term 1 Unit 3 Prose Book Back Questions with Answer PDF:
For all three term units of 6th standard English Book Back Answers – Samacheer kalvi 6th English Book Back Answers
Samacheer Kalvi 6th English Book Back for Unit 3 A Visitor from Distant Lands general and grammar part Question and Answers below:
6th English Unit 3 – A Visitor from Distant Lands Book Back Questions and Answers:
TN Class 6th English Book Back Term 1 Unit 3 Prose Answers are given below,
6th English Book Back Answer
Term 1 – Prose
Unit – 3 A Visitor from Distant Lands
Look at the pictures
What do their expressions tell you? Fill in the blanks with the item that tastes the same.
One example is given for each.
- Sweet : sugarcane – Candy, Cake, Ice-cream.
- Sour : lime – Cheese, Vinegar, Yogurt
- Bitter : bitter gourd – fenugreek, olives, spinach.
- Salty : salt – Pickles, Seaweed.
- Astringent : betel nut – Pomegranate, Broccoli, Lentils.
- Pungent : ginger – Garlic, Onion, Blackpepper.
Read and Understand
A. Work in pairs. Tick the best option.
1. When Amma said, ‘Don’t upset our foreign visitor’ she meant _______.
2. Selvi asked, ‘Did they come in an aeroplane?’ because she ________
(a) was joking
(b) did not understand her mother
(c) thought it would be fun
3. Amma bought the vegetables from the _______
(b) shopping mall
B. Answer these questions.
1. Who first brought these vegetables to India?
Portuguese first brought these vegetables to India.
2. Who came to India from Portugal in search of pepper?
Vasco da Gama came to India from Portugal in search of pepper.
3. What did Amma mean when she said tomatoes, ladies’ fingers, and corn came from other countries?
They were not found in India, they were brought by foreigners.
C. Read the comic strip again. Make groups of four and frame some questions on what you have read. Each group should ask a question in turns. You cannot repeat the same question. The team which asks more questions is the winner.
1. Which are the foreign vegetables mentioned?
Potato, tomato, ladies finger.
2. Why was Columbus sad?
Columbus was sad because he could not discover India.
D. Discuss in groups and share your views in three or four sentences with others in the class.
1. What is your favourite dish? Do you know the spices that go into it?
My favourite dish is Briyani. I know it is yummy due to the spices in it. My mother uses garlic, ginger, curd, cumin seeds, pepper, chillies etc.
E. Add Y, ‘er’ or ‘or’ to get the name of the person who does the activity. Take turns in class to make sentences with the words you have formed.
e.g: A teacher is a person who teaches. Teach + er – Teacher.
use, buy, sail, watch, operate, foreign, bake, write, govern, act
F. Complete this table with the help of the given example.
e.g: Portugal is the name of the country. People from Portugal are called the Portuguese.
|Sri Lanka||Sri Lankan|
G. Listen to some interesting facts about spices and choose the best option..
1. Red peppers have _______
(a) Vitamin A
(b) Vitamin C
(c) Vitamin D
2. Red chili is also called _______
3. One pound is equal to _______ grams
4. Mint leaves help to cure _______
(a) body pain
(c) upset stomach
H. Work in pairs. Take turns and speak about spices.
Saritha : Hi Divya, how are you?
Divya : Hi, I’m fine Saritha.
Saritha : What did you have for breakfast?
Divya : I had idlies with onion chutney.
Saritha : Do you know where onions came from ?
Divya : Yes, I guess it is from Central Asia.
Saritha : Do you know chilli too has come from somewhere else?
Divya : Is it from Portuguese ?
Saritha : Yes you are right.
Divya : Many of the spices & vegetables came from foreign nations.
Use two or three words from the box to describe each picture
I. Correct the order of the words in bold and write them in the blanks.
- Green little the chilli _______ was very hot.
- Sailors many brave _______ tried to find a sea route to India.
- Brown dog the big _______ barked at the children.
- The spice most common _______ used today is the red chilli pepper.
- _______ The path mud long led to a beautiful lake.
- The little green chilli was very hot.
- Many brave sailors tried to find a sea route to India.
- The big brown dog barked at the children.
- The most common spice used today is the red chilli pepper.
- The long mud path led to a beautiful lake.
J. Play this game in the class.
Make two teams. Each team should describe something in the class using at least three words. The other team should guess it.
(To be done by Ihe students)
K. How do you cook rice in your house?
Fill in the gaps in this recipe for cooking rice. Use the words in the box.
wash, boil, water, heat, keep, rice, lid, low, water, more, ready
How to make it
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
- Drain the water and keep the rice aside.
- In a medium sized pan, bring water to stove and boil it.
- Add the salt, stir, and then add the rinsed and drained rice.
- Reduce the heat, cover the rice, and let it simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Check after 15 minutes to see if all the water has evaporated. If it has, the rice is cooked.
- If not, replace the lid and let the rice simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the pan and serve.
L. Work in groups.
- Discuss how your mother cook rice in your house.
- Write down the ingredients you need like rice and water.
- List the steps in cooking. The words in the recipe above will help you.
- Each person in the group should tell the others how rice is made in their house.
- Now write down the recipe.
(To be done by the students)
M. Your mother has written a message for you before going out.
Write a message to her after finishing your lunch.
Your mother’s message
Your lunch is in the kitchen. Please warm before eating it. There is some curd in the pot, if you want it. Clean up the kitchen after you finish eating. I will be back at 4 p.m. You can go out to play at 3.30 p.m, if you want but be back by 5.30 p.m.
- Mom, I had the lunch.
- I liked the curd.
- I have cleaned the kitchen.
- I am going to play.
- I will be back by 5.30 p.m.
Write about the following in your message.
- You ate lunch _______
- What you liked _______ (mention the dish)
- You have cleaned the kitchen _______
- You are going out to play. _______ (mention when you will be back).
- You ate lunch which was in the kitchen.
- What you liked I liked the curd.
- You have cleaned the kitchen after eating.
- You are going out to play. I will be back by 5.30 pm.
Other Important links for 6th English Book Back Answers:
Click here to download the complete 6th standard English Book Back Answers – Samacheer kalvi 6th English Book Back Answers
Tamil Nadu Class 6th Standard Book Back Guide PDF, Click the link – 6th Book Back Questions & Answers PDF